Funniest...kill...ever
Mike Easter
2002-09-07 00:14:58 UTC
"GregR"
I'm still laughing at this one! Not only were these guys just
freaking fast, but they have a sense of humor, too! Good show, RCN!
Thanks for the alert! The account has been chopped up and thrown to
the snarling beasts that crawl in the dark recesses of Abuse Central.
The user has been terminated. Have a nice day.
Cheers,
Torquemada
I take it you're too new at this (or maybe just too young) for the
initials "AB" to mean anything?

Photos of Torquemada, Nyarlathotep, Neurotoxin & AB, his own self:
http://users.erols.com/abuse/admins.html RCN Abuse Staff

Mike Easter
Baloo Ursidae
2002-09-06 22:38:03 UTC

Baloo
Peter
2002-09-06 23:01:35 UTC
Cheers,
Torquemada
That's another notch for erols. Geez, I wish I'd get spam from their network,
just so I can lart it and chuckle with evil glee!
Fat chance, though, spammers who spew from *their* network are few and
especially stupid (and quickly shredded).

-Peter
Philip Newton
2002-09-07 05:47:13 UTC
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:01:35 -0700, "Peter" <***@spamcop.net> wrote:

[Erols/RCN]
Geez, I wish I'd get spam from their network, just so I can lart it
and chuckle with evil glee!
I was glad when I got one, and enjoyed receiving the subsequent
confirmation! Alas, no more (from that network) since then...

Cheers,
Philip
GregR
2002-09-06 22:45:48 UTC
I'm still laughing at this one! Not only were these guys just
freaking fast, but they have a sense of humor, too! Good show, RCN!
investment could make you cash$$$
Thanks for the alert! The account has been chopped up and thrown to
the snarling beasts that crawl in the dark recesses of Abuse
Central. The user has been terminated. Have a nice day.
Cheers,
Torquemada
I take it you're too new at this (or maybe just too young) for the
initials "AB" to mean anything?

--
GregR - Another Beemer Biker ...o&o>

[Remove the null-routing to reply]

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Proud to be 'anmother Internet terrorist'
(e-mail from Tommy Brock at Removeyou.org 5/24/02).
Baloo Ursidae
2002-09-07 08:08:31 UTC
I take it you're too new at this (or maybe just too young) for the
initials "AB" to mean anything?
Nope. I just never got a spam from RCN. Makes me disappointed
they're ripping out the coax network they were putting in here though
never used, having them as my provider would be motivation enough to
move to Northeast Portland.

- --
Baloo
GregR
2002-09-08 18:24:23 UTC
Post by Baloo Ursidae
Nope. I just never got a spam from RCN.
Oh - you sounded like you'd never heard of their legendary "nuke"
messages.
Post by Baloo Ursidae
Makes me disappointed
they're ripping out the coax network they were putting in here though
never used, having them as my provider would be motivation enough to
move to Northeast Portland.
Where would that be - Gresham? ;-)

Baloo Ursidae
2002-09-09 06:18:36 UTC
Post by GregR
Where would that be - Gresham? ;-)
No. Portland is divided into five "sectors." Northwest and Southwest
are west of the Willamette river, and to the north and south of West
Burnside Street respectively. North is east of the Willamette River,
but west of Vancouver Avenue (which runs in to the Willamette River
just north of downtown). Northeast and Southeast are north and south
of East Burnside Street, and east of the Willamette River or Vancouver
Avenue.

RCN had been stringing lines in Northeast Portland's Alamdeda
neighborhood and a couple neighboring neighborhoods. However, the
telecom industry collapsed, and they couldn't complete the work and
decided to rip out the cables they were stringing so they wouldn't
have to continue paying rent on Qwest and Portland General telephone
poles for unused lines.

(In an unrelated subject, I hope the City of Portland condemns PGE and
makes it a public utility...)

- --
Baloo

socks
2002-09-07 02:15:13 UTC
investment could make you cash$$$
Thanks for the alert! The account has been chopped up and thrown to
the snarling beasts that crawl in the dark recesses of Abuse
Central. The user has been terminated. Have a nice day.
The best one I got from one of AfterBurner's minions advised me that the
spammer in question had been turned into a greasy yellow spot on the
sidewalk outside their HQ.

If more abuse desks took as much pride in their work as these folks do,
spam wouldn't be 36% of all traffic.

Afterburner has an entry in the nanae FAQ

--
...Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across
shouting GERONIMO!!! -- Bill McKenna, date unknown
Kreigh Tomaszewski
2002-09-07 02:26:51 UTC
investment could make you cash$$$
Thanks for the alert! The account has been chopped up and thrown to
the snarling beasts that crawl in the dark recesses of Abuse
Central. The user has been terminated. Have a nice day.
Cheers,
Torquemada
RCN still claims my fastest confirmed kill (less than 1 hour from the
time the spam was sent). I wish more ISPs emulated them. Thanks for an
opportunity to give them a public 'pat on the back'.

BTW, I believe that RCN coined the terms 'white hat' and 'black hat'.
"Torquemada" is referenced in the SamSpade 'Tips'.
Dan French
2002-09-07 04:03:21 UTC
Post by Kreigh Tomaszewski
RCN still claims my fastest confirmed kill (less than 1 hour from the
time the spam was sent). I wish more ISPs emulated them. Thanks for an
opportunity to give them a public 'pat on the back'.
BTW, I believe that RCN coined the terms 'white hat' and 'black hat'.
"Torquemada" is referenced in the SamSpade 'Tips'.
Kreigh:
I got a better one than that. While I was on the phone with the tech
support from a company, I sent several copies of the spam to the ISP. When
he was satisfied that it came from the spammers account, he removed the
account while I was on the phone with him. Of course, that was years ago,
before the era of hundreds of spam email per person per day.....

Dan French
remove spam food to send email
Eönwë
2002-09-08 05:37:04 UTC
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 22:38:03 +0000 (UTC), Baloo Ursidae
I'm still laughing at this one! Not only were these guys just
freaking fast, but they have a sense of humor, too! Good show, RCN!
[snip LART ack from Torquemada]

RCN used to be Erol's Internet, abuse department headed by one
Afterburner. All of their Abuse Minions seem to have creative
four-syllable names, and all of them send equally creative and
imaginative LART acks. I've received such from

Afterburner
Torquemada
Ereshkigal
Neurotoxin
Nyarlathotep
Fimbulvetr

It wouldn't be exaggerating much to say that Erol's/RCN is the
standard against which 'White hat' is measured. They were undoubtedly
one of the earliest and most fanatic about keeping their service
spammer-free.
--
Eönwë
(SpamCop subscriber, not staff/admin)
Cat
2002-09-07 21:11:40 UTC
It seems like *decades* ago -- when I first started reporting spam --
that I would get regular responses from AB, Torque, et. al. Always
hilarious, always blindingly fast.
I once got a spam referencing a site hosted by them. I was a little excited
awaiting a comedic response from them. Unfortunately, I never got a kill
notice for them. I was very disappointed at that.